Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Kit of the Day

Tired of building tanks, planes, cars, and ships? How about a nice crustacean? So went the thinking of Superior Plastics of Chicago, Illinois, back in 1962. No, not really. This is from a line called Superior Science Series Projects. I suppose the idea was to introduce educational projects for the kids, or at least hope their parents would buy them a lobster instead of a Big Daddy Roth weirdmobile. The finished lobster was 15 inches long and cast in red, just like the real thing. No bib. I have to wonder what prompted Superior to take on such an enterprise since creating a mold is a very expensive proposition and the potential buyers of such a kit were almost non-existent. Still, I found two of these rarities on eBay this past week. One was selling for $17.01 and the other for $9.95. And you know, the more I think about it the more attractive this kit becomes. Should I?

6 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Go for it!

Scott B. Lesch said...

Ha! Just like the real cooked thing!

Scott B. Lesch said...

I just noticed. The claws don't look like a North Atlantic lobster. The left claw should be heavier for crushing.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Our family has a thing about anything with lobsters. I may beat you to it.

Cap'n Bob said...

I didn't win it. I hope Patti did.

Glenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.