Monday, February 17, 2014

How Do You Eat?


      When I was in the fifth grade I noticed a kid sitting across from me in the lunch room eat his meal. He opened his metal lunch box, took out his sandwich, and ate it. Next he did the same to some chips. Then an apple. Finally, a Hostess cupcake. His food consumed, he drank his half-pint of milk.

     I was appalled. Who taught this kid to consume a meal, I wondered.

     I have my own system and it goes like this: I have a bite of each item in turn--sometimes combining a couple of them--until I have exactly one bite each of everything on my plate, which I then consume. I sip my beverage as needed. Now, I'm not overboard with this method. I don't assess the number of bites each dish will require. I don't mentally weigh or measure each item to accomplish an even finish to the meal. It just flows naturally for me. I barely realize I'm doing it.
     If we have bread, I always make sure there's enough left to sop up any gravy or meat drippings, too. I have this last.

     How about you?

5 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Captain, I could write a book on the eating habits of Indians. India probably has the most diverse cuisine in the world and I wouldn't even know where to begin. Most Indians eat with their fingers. Not a very nice sight, depending on which part of the country you are in, but it is said to make food more savoury than, say, eating with a spoon and fork. In fact, you can't eat traditional food with a fork as it is mostly gravy based. Steamed rice and lentil soup (dal, as we call it) is a staple diet in many parts of India. It is almost always accompanied by one or two side dishes with pickles, salads, and yogurt, among other small things. Indians eat large and wholesome meals, their plates filled with a minimum of four to five dishes, be it at home, at a party or in a restaurant, lunch and dinner, 24x7. This is not surprising as food is worshipped in India.

Cap'n Bob said...

Very interesting, but the question is HOW do you eat, not what do you eat.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My brother's foods could not even touch each other. I ate like you did. Nothing was good enough or bad enough to be eaten without intermissions.
Interesting, Prashant.

Richard said...

For as long as I can remember (which is sometimes last week), I have eaten the least favorite thing first, to get it out of the way. In another way, I save the favorite to last, usually, but will eat some of everything if I like it all. When young, I drank the milk last. No one told me to do this, I just did it that way. Some things like potatoes and roast, always are eaten together (one, the other, the other…). Dessert, of course, is another matter.

Marsdon said...

I just mix it all together . Yummy. Sometimes make a sandwich.