Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Tankon Beckons

In a few hours I'll be off to the wilds below Mt. Rainier for the semi-annual gathering called Tankon. Just me and four other curmudgeons at a remote cabin with every amenity but running water. Sloth and eating are the main entertainments, with reading, movie viewing, and chatting/arguing following close behind. I also plan to bring my laptop and write a bit.

Festivus was fine. I spent Festivus Eve in the dark and rain, holding a flashlight while Darryl changed the alternator on his van. Festivus morning I was awakened from a deep, restful sleep by Kristine, who couldn't wait another minute to open her presents. I got some nice presents and one really great one: a Daisy BB gun. I've wanted one since I was a kid, but my mother was one of those You'll Put Your Eye Out wet blankets, so I never had this rite-of-passage weapon. Luckily, some friends did and I shot up scores of non-refundable bottles one summer.
Later that day I went to my other daughter's house for some more presents and a good pot roast dinner. My girl, Stephanie, has been working so much at Taco Bell (Our Motto: Each Worker a Peon) she fell asleep after the presents were exchanged, so we went back home and declared it a good Festivus all around. I have three gift cards to use: $15 at Target, $30 at Home Depot, and $100 at Wilson's House of Suede and Whips.

2 comments:

Livia said...

I was one of those lucky kids that received a Daisy BB gun for Christmas. I think I was eight or nine years old. I would tag behind my older brothers, shooting at leaves and sticks. One brother did end up accidently shooting the other, but not in the eye. I always stayed behind those boys when they were armed. I left the gun behind when I married James. I think my parents threw it away. I hope you had a great time at your gathering.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to have a Daisy BB gun as a kid. In my hometown we used to have BB gun fights, using the local high school's stadium as the war zone. It's a wonder somebody didn't put an eye out.