Friday, March 02, 2007

Another Thumb Up

Noted critic Jon Breen has this to say about LOVE, DEATH AND THE TOYMAN in the May 2007 issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine:

"Jack Lorentz, a Tacoma-based collectible toy dealer, is asked by an old lover to look into a mysterious death on the property of her husband's wealthy and influential family. The first novel from the longtime fanzine editor known as Cap'n Bob is a commendable job, including surprising variations on familiar hardboiled elements: the rocky romance, the dysfunctional rich, and the hero's loyal but somewhat unstable sidekick."

Now, if just 1% of EQMM's readers buy the book, I'll be happy as a clam.

I wonder when that element Jon refers to as the sidekick actually started. I'm guessing Robert B. Parker's Hawk was the first of any consequence, although I'm just pulling this off the top of my head. But Mike Hammer, Mike Shayne, Dan Turner, Philip Marlowe, Sam Spade, etc. were loners. Nowadays it's more common (think Coben's, Burke's, and Lehane's books for starters) for the hero to have an ally/friend who's basically a homicidal maniac. Waldo, the sidekick in my novel, isn't like that, and I should point out that I started this book a long time ago, before any of the others I mentioned hit the scene.

On another note, I have my first signing lined up. I hope everyone who can be in Seattle on St. Paddy's Day, March 17, will drop by the Seattle Mystery Bookshop (117 Cherry St.) and say hey.

6 comments:

Steve Hockensmith said...

Congrats on the good review, Cap'n! That Jon Breen really knows his business.

And congrats on the signing, too. What a great day for your first. Here's a freebie marketing tip: Have a keg on hand filled with green beer. Couldn't hurt, right?

-Steve

Bill Crider said...

Congrats on the EQMM review, Cap'n, and may your sales increase. By the way, Judy just finished reading the book, and she also gives it a big thumb's up.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Thanks, Steve (and thanks for the signed EQMM, too). The store I'll be signing at is very close to that bum mecca of Seattle, Pioneer Square. I can just imagine the stampede free beer would set off. I was thinking of Tootsie Rolls or something like that.

Bill, thank the lovely Judy for me. We know she has excellent taste since she married you. (Am I a shameless suckup or what?)

sandy goodrick said...

Hi Cap'n, Forget the tootsie rolls. I work at Seattle Mystery Bookshop and I'm bringing little green cupcakes, in honor of you & St. Pat. All those years reading the fantastic MDM, and now I get to read your debut mystery novel! Congrats on the book, and the good press. I'm looking forward to seeing you & any lurking MDMers in the region. --Sandy Goodrick, who never wrote to MDM as much as she should have.

Livia said...

Good luck today, Cap'n. I hope you have a line out the door.

Mike Barer said...

Just a note that I was here.