Friday, October 29, 2010

Fifteen Days to Go


I'll really feel like it's happening when November rolls around. Looking over my leave time, I've determined I have 13 full days, one 6-hour day, and one 6 1/2-hour day left (I work 10-hour shifts) before I walk out, middle finger at full staff. That's still 15 morning wakeups, though.

I haven't mentioned the San Francisco Bouchercon but I was there, along with the wife. It was great to connect with blogger Bill Crider and his wife Judy, and fellow fans like Jeff and Ann Smith, Art Scott, Steve Stilwell, Kate Derie, Janet Rudolph, Ted Fitzgerald, Maggie Mason, Leila Dobscha, and Rick Robinson, the latter just in time to say good-bye. Best of all, I had a chance to meet fellow Dapa-Emmer Tina Karleson, a beauty whose presence lit up every room she entered. I also met Bill and Judy's daughter Angela, and her husband. Lovely young woman. Angela, that is.

I also had a chance to tell some $cientologists who were hustling reprints of Hubbard's pulp work at the con what a blob of human garbage their messiah was.

Deadly Pleasures magazine editor/publisher George Easter awarded me the Don Sandstrom Award for my lifetime achievement in mystery fandom. I pretty much left mystery fandom six years ago, but I'm honored to have an award named for my late friend Don.

As always, apologies to those whose names I left off. As for the city, it was expensive and had more Koreans than Seoul. What really irked me was the street artists. I used to be one in the mid-'70s and there were definite rules and laws. We had to make our own goods, have them juried by the Arts Commission, and have a J license on display at our stands. The J license is so named after Proposition J, which allowed street artists. Hosebag Diane Feinstein opposed us, which is why I've always thought she should be slapped silly. Anyway, most of the people I saw on the streets selling had cheap imported garbage they no more made than I made the next moon rocket. No licenses, and none of the ones I asked about it, except one lady who did make her own goods, knew what a J license was.

Food was not bad, but like everything else it cost too much. I can say without reservation that the red snapper I had at Sinbad's, behind Pier 39, was excellent. The service wasn't so great, but the food was.

After the con I went to Sebastopol to visit a friend from my youth and his wife, who lived in a great house he built himself on 14 acres. Nice to wake up and see deer or coyotes on the property. We had a fine visit and I hope I can get back there again, though I don't know if that will be possible.

Enow. I look forward to this weekend. Laundry awaits.

1 comment:

Bill Crider said...

Great to see you and Linda at the con. Thanks for the street artist info, and congrats again on winning the Don Sandstrom award.