Thursday, March 03, 2011

AMC Ticks Me Off Again


It was bad enough when AMC started inserting long commercial breaks into their movies, usually at inapropriate moments, but now they've gone and sicced their PC Police on a revered John Wayne movie. Yesterday I managed to catch EL DORADO from the beginning while channel surfing so I decided to watch it. This, you may know, is a remake of RIO BRAVO, but with Robert Mitchum in the Dean Martin/drunken sheriff role, James Caan instead of Ricky Nelson, and Arthur Hunnicutt taking over for Walter Brennan. Charlene Holt in the Angie Dickinson role is no slouch, either. Anyway, in one scene Caan, Mitchum, and Hunnicutt are trying to sneak into the back door of a saloon, but find it guarded by a bad guy. What happens in the unexpurgated film is Caan disguises himself as a Chinaman, missing no stereotype, until he can get close enough to the thug to knock him out. In the AMC snipfest, Caan says, "Wait, I have an idea." The next thing you know he's slugging the owlhoot. I don't know about you, but I don't need some clown at AMC censoring my movies for me. What's this world coming to?

6 comments:

Bill Crider said...

That's just sad. And criminal.

Jerry House said...

The three most offensive words in the English language are "Edited for Television". It always seemed to me to be code for "Go F*ck Yourself".

Evan Lewis said...

Someone at AMC should be in line for a necktie party. Was this scene deletion masked by a commercial break or just plain sniopped?

Blogorilla said...

Have not watched AMC in years for precisely these kind of shenanigans.

Cap'n Bob said...

There was a commercial break, Evan. I guess they were hoping we'd forget what went before.

Ron Scheer said...

TV is time wasted.