Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bambi Attacks


Yesterday, my wife told me there was a deer in our cul-de-sac. I walked outside and found a buck across the court, near the entry. He saw me but showed no fear. I talked quietly to him. He ambled onto the grassy area in the center of the cul-de-sac, into the yard of the house at the 12 o'clock position, and then to the yard of the house next to that. He nibbbled a few leafs and ambled towards the backyard of that place. As he was browsing in the grass my daughter drove up and I pointed him out. She pulled out her phone/camera/Swiss Army Knife and shot the accompanying photo. Around here we have blacktail deer, smaller than whitetails and muleys. This fellow had short antlers still wrapped in summer velvet.
My house is to the left of the brown one in the photo.

3 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

Considerate of deer to be big enough to take a photo of from a distance. I get the occasional roadrunner in the street, but without a telephoto, they show up no bigger than a fly speck in a pic.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Deer are everywhere here and scarily, they are jumping freeway fences and getting killed at 80 miles an hour. I think hunting has just gained my approval. Sadly though.

Cap'n Bob said...

Blacktail are actually small deer. A monster would come in at 200 lbs. This one was about 30 feet away when photographed.