Saturday, May 12, 2012

Kit of the Day, Evan Lewis Style

Over on his blog, Evan Lewis has been touting the life and times of Jean Lafitte. In his honor I present today's kit, a pirate ship based on the movie THE BUCCANEER. Produced by Aurora, this seems like a simple and sturdy model (note the heavy rigging) and one a modeler of modest skills could build. I'm guessing it was an old kit with a new box to take advantage of the movie, yet none of the actors from that film are part of the box art. The opening bid was $24.99 and postage will be $7.95. Not too bad for an old Aurora kit. I'm sure Evan will want this so hold your bids and let him have it. BTW, fans, I think I've set this blog up so anyone can comment. No doubt this will issue in a whole new era of annoying spam, but I'm willing to take the gamble.

12 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

I built a lot of cars and planes in my younger days(those dim ages of history). Some of those ships with the elaborate were probably beyond my meager skills.

Bill Crider said...

I remember the movie and the novelization, which I probably have a copy of around here.

Evan Lewis said...

Cool! Is there a little plastic Lafitte figure with this?

Richard R. said...

Looks like posting is easier. You shouldn't get a lot of spam with the "type these words" thing there, so it should be okay.

Happy Mother's Day to all who qualify at your end!

Cap'n Bob said...

I've been called a mother more than once. Thank you.

Cap'n Bob said...

No figures that I can see, Evan. None mentioned in the description of the item.

Richard Prosch said...

I'm with Randy. That elaborate rigging always ended up covered in glue. Or the masts would bend because I didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry. But I'm a year or so older now - maybe I should give it another try?

Richard R. said...

Happy Memorial Day, Cap! Sorry I missed you when you were down here last week.

Cap'n Bob said...

Me, too. But time was tight.

Richard R. said...

Happy Father's Day, Cap'n.

Scott B. Lesch said...

I must have built two of them. The kit is roughly 1/72 scale so I used it in a diorama with HO figures for a 7th grade history class. I did cut the hull off at the water line as well. Great old model. Does this have the bare breasted figurehead?

Cap'n Bob said...

Scott: Sorry for the delayed answer. Yes, the figurehead appeares in all her hooterized glory.