Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Kit of the Day: Bachmann's Fisher Boy

Bachmann, who brought us the Birds of the World, Animals of the World, and Dogs of the World kits also made three dioramas entitled Bachmann's Americana. They apparently didn't sell well because they were discontinued after three models: Fisher Boy, Home Plate, and Bowling Alley. I'm not sure of the scale but the boy stands about 4 1/2 inches tall without his hat. I painted this one mostly by the instructions, but I substituted my own paints for the ones supplied in the kit, which were old and rather worn out. My main departure was the fish, which they wanted gray and silver. I tried to make it look more like a largemouth bass. There's a guy selling the Bowling Alley kit on eBay for $80.00. It's missing the entire front half of the man in the scene. I got this, complete, for half that, although the boy was glued together and his hair was already painted. The middle photo shows the fish, and the bottom picture shows a little bunny peeking out at the base of the stump. There are other nice touches, like the slingshot and can of worms. All in all, a great little scene.




 
 
 

4 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Nice one, Rev.

Evan Lewis said...

Fishy.

Glenn said...

Like it! Hope you find a cheaper bowling kit to work your magic on

Phil said...

Nice and original!
Phil.