Tuesday, June 17, 2014

S.S. United States

A Revell model kit from the 1950s. My older sister gave me one of these kits for Christmas when I was about 11 and I knew right away it was too challenging for me. Last year I bought another of these kits and decided to build it. It turned out to be no less challenging for a mature man than it was for a boy. The biggest problem was locating the parts in the right places and making the lines on the deck for the tennis courts show up. And the decals, of course, were brittle and brown with age. They're aren't on in this photo. It came out okay when all is said and done, but not as good as I'd hoped.


2 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Looks great to me, Cap'n. I'd be as likely to be able to complete that as I would to fly to the moon.

D Gary Grady said...

About 10 years ago I was driving south of Philadelphia on business trip and quite by accident saw SS United States docked and just sitting there, easily visible from the highway. It's an amazing ship, holding the record for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic (it holds the record in both directions, in fact, if I'm not mistaken).