Sunday, July 06, 2014

The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner.

     This is the worst book I have ever read that wasn't written by a Russian. All right, I didn't read it all. I stopped around 40 pages in because life's too short for this nonsense. And here's the deal: after 40 pages I have no idea who the characters are, how they relate to each other, what they're doing, what time of year it is, or why I ought to care a whit about them. I know they're black and some are kids, but that's it. Notice this copy says "The Corrected Text." I hate to imagine what the uncorrected text looked like, or perhaps it made sense after some courageous editor got his hands on it. I bought this because I thought I ought to read a few more American classics before I die. To broaden my range of experience and education. If this is an example of American classics, I'll croak without such enlightenment.

5 comments:

Bill Crider said...

I haven't seen the corrected text, but maybe I should take a look. I love this book and have read it several times. Different strokes, as they say.

Randy Johnson said...

Not read any version of this one. After slogging through Moby Dick, I gave up on most of the classics.

Cap'n Bob said...

Maybe you can explain it to me, Bill. Does it gain cohesion eventually or am I supposed to like what he's done? I have a feeling I'm just too low brow for material like this.

Barry Ergang said...

One of my all-time-favorite novels, I've read it three times.

Richard R. said...

It's a terrific book, I read it in college and again about 20 years ago and liked it both times. But then I like Faulkner's other books too.