Thursday, July 30, 2015

Throwback Thursday


     When I was in the 595th Engineer Company (LE) in 1967-68 we had a mascot, a burro called Le. Le was pronounced Lee. The LE in our company designation stood for Light Equipment. How a mass of bulldozers, graders, scrapers (90,000 pounds), flatbed trailers, 5-ton dump trucks, and many more could be called "light" is beyond me. One guy told me it was because our crane had a maximum lifting capacity of only 20,000 pounds.
     Anyway, Le was kept on a long tether at an abandoned company area across the street from ours and alongside a small aircraft runway. He was mean. A sergeant who was assigned to feed him had to run for his life if he got too close to Le. Maybe the burro objected to being left in the 120-degree sun without companions all day. Who knows? In the bio I read on line he was credited with being friendly and living at the motor pool. Maybe that was before I arrived.
     Eventually, Le was shipped back to the States and ended up living the good life at Fort Riley.
     My clearest memory of him was that he made Spec-4 before I did. He made sergeant when he arrived at Fort Riley.
     In 1969 he was discharged to a farm in Kansas where he lived a long and happy life.

3 comments:

Bill Crider said...

We had a burro for a short time when I was a kid. Meanest animal ever.

Lynn Travis Kennedy said...

Love this. Reminds me of Reckless of Korean War fame.

Lynn Travis Kennedy said...

Love this. Reminds me of Reckless of Korean War fame.