Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Remembering John Lennon


I'm a huge fan and admirer of John Lennon. I clearly remember my sorrow the day he was murdered, and my anger when I learned his killer got life instead of death. Thirty years ago today he died, but his music is as fresh and enjoyable to me today as it was then and all the way back into the sixties. When I was 17 I was in a garage band called The Violations. This was 1965 so of course we sang a lot of Beatles songs (those we could, a lot were beyond our ranges). I usually sang the John parts in our harmonies, making me feel an extra kinship with him. I sure wish he was around today.

3 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

I loved the cheekiness of John's lyrics. I'm one of those who felt he did his best work with Paul. Yoko, bless her heart, didn't bring out the best in him. And, yeah, I miss him, too.

wayne d. dundee said...

Cap'n - Looking back, I find that the passage of time makes me more appreciative of Lennon (and all of the Beatles, actually) than I was when he was alive, and espcially when they were still together as a group.
Additionally, let me add my congratulations on your recent retirement. I left the corporate grind back in June of '08 and do not regret it one bit. I'm sure you won't either.
Also: a belated thanks for your kind comments on both the recent interview David Cranmer did with me and the prior article over at Besh's Beat. Much appreciated. Persevere --- WD

pattinase (abbott) said...

Can you imagine the songs we'd have heard?