Monday, January 02, 2012

First Car



This is not the actual car, but a prototype model. A 1961 Thunderbird was the first car I bought. Not a new car, I picked it up in 1969 for $600 when I lived in San Jose, California. It had power everywhere and with the flick of a switch the trunk would open and the convertible top would fold into it. It was large, roomy, powerful, and sucked up gas like a wino with his first swig of the day. I really loved that car, and to this date it remains my all-time favorite. I traded it in for the 1972 Capri I discussed a week or so back, and at the time I thought it was on its last legs. Four years later I was cruising down the freeway and it blew past me going 80. I kick myself to this day for letting it go. My T-Bird was white with an aqua interior. I currently have a bid in for a model of one on eBay and I'm determind to win it, no doubt at a price far beyond its value.

7 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

My first car, bought in 1969 as well, I called my Beach Boys car: a 1963 black Impala, four speed, dual quad, positraction 409.

Talk about sucking down gas.

stephenCollines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cap'n Bob said...

Great car, Randy. It probably belongs to a low rider today, unless it was totaled.

harish cena said...

Great car, Randy, as we look at this car it looks like classic cars of 1961. I think, this car was more friendly to you.t probably belongs to a low rider today, unless it was totaled.
Used RV Dealers

Earlene Harps said...

Vintage and classic cars are hard to find, and you are very lucky to have one! Usually, sellers give you reasonable deal for these types of cars. Since you are buying the same model online, be sure that the specifications are close to your former vehicle. If the seller is near your near place, check out the car personally. But don’t worry. Your Capri will keep up soon.

Stelle Courney said...

I hope that you were able to get your ride back. A friend of mine had this classic ride too. She got it from a trusted dealer at a very reasonable price. At first she was hesitant to purchase this vehicle since it was pre-owned, but the dealer assured her that it was on top condition. True enough, the vehicle never failed her. She was able to use the car for a few more years until she decided to buy a new one.

Nicole said...

What a waste you traded that ’69 Thunderbird for that ‘72 Capri! I know you’re excited about that bid, but may I suggest something that has the same taste, only much better and way more advance? Try a pre-owned 2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe! It’s the same make, but at least, you won’t have to worry about the price going far beyond its true value.

Nicole Vickers