Friday, January 06, 2012

Kit of the Day



You say you don't want to look like an old swabby by having a ship in a bottle? Here's the solution, Monogram's Car in a Bottle. It looks like the lad on the box is holding a funny car/dragster but I don't know the scale. Obviously it will fit into a 16-ounce Pepsi bottle so it's smaller than the usual model car. I vaguely remember these from way back when. The bottle was a plastic replica of a normal Pepsi bottle with a separate bottom that was snapped in place once the model car was installed. I doubt that they were a successful product, but the one on eBay right now is going for $99.99 plus a tad over $5.00 for shipping. Not that anyone's bidding, but that's the chance you take when you overcharge for something.

By the way, ignoring these Kit of the Day posts will not stop me from presenting more. I WILL BE HEARD!

5 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

As a teenager in the early sixties, I put together models quite frequently and even entered a few in contests(wasn't really that good though. But I can't remember ever seeing any of these.

Cap'n Bob said...

I suspect from the kid's haircut that this was the late sixties or sometime in the seventies.

Bill Crider said...

I'd never ignore any of your posts, Cap'n.

pattinase (abbott) said...

No one in my family had the slightest ability to do this sort of thing. Nor anything much with our hands. Paint by numbers was as close as I got.

Richard Prosch said...

I never saw one of these in real life, but they ran ads for 'em in both DC and Marvel comics of the early-mid '70s. I always wanted the 7-up one to put next to my county fair melted-glass looooonnnnggg neck 7-up bottle.