Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Remember the Alamo

March 6, 1836. After 13 days of siege the Alamo was overrun by the forces of General Santa Anna, general and dictator of Mexico. The heroic stand made by the Alamo's defenders has been the subject of books, movies, TV shows, comic books, and several Marx playsets. It has spawned wonder and controversy. The Alamo today--the little that's left of it--is a major tourist attraction. Some of the most famous men of their day died at the Alamo, notably Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie. Today is indeed a good day to remember the Alamo.


6 comments:

James Reasoner said...

Great cover on that issue of COWBOY STORIES.

Dan_Luft said...

No pic of the play set? Been thinking about which sibling's house mine might be in.

D Gary Grady said...

Crap, I knew I forgot something!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I will never forget how surprised I was at its size.

George said...

Like Patti, I was shocked at how small the Alamo was when I first saw it first-hand. When I was a kid, I loved the Disney movie.

Chuck Stevens said...

I really loved the movie when I was a kid also George. I am actually pretty excited to be traveling to San Antonio in a few weeks for work because I should have some free time to check out the Alamo. I am pretty excited about the trip! I made sure my assistant booked me one of the hotels in San Antonio so I can do the Alamo and also check out the River Walk! Should be a pretty cool trip.