Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kit of the Day

Sassy the Kitten

In an effort to get more young girls to build models, Revell created four kits of cute, cuddly animals. They were marketed between 1957 and 1962, but the little ladies preferred Tiny Tears or Barbie and the idea flopped. Along with Sassy the Kitten were Perri the Squirrel, Teddy the Koala Bear, and Friskie the Beagle Puppy. Price guide values for these kits today range from $75-100, but I've seen a Perri on eBay for less than that for over a year with no takers.

8 comments:

Bill Crider said...

You need those kits, Cap'n.

Scott B. Lesch said...

The internet is made of kittens.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hard to imagine capturing fur in a kit.

Cap'n Bob said...

For $20 I'd buy them, but not for what they're asking.

I have a bunch of dog kits and even with the nice texturing they use it doesn't look like real fur.

Chanwick P. Rutherford III said...

I wonder, Mr. Captain, if you ever build these "kits" or just collect them in the box. Also, does this one come with an actual ball of yarn, a model of one, or is that just a suggestion for posing the completed animal?

Cap'n Bob said...

I build the ones I buy. Some people collect them the way you'd collect stamps or books.

I've never seen a Sassy kit so I don't know if it comes with the yarn, but I suspect it does. Not real yarn, of course, but a plastic facsimile.

Glenn said...

Although not part of this "appeal to the girls" marketing plan, Revell also made Horton the Elephant in the early 60s. A rare kit today. I saw one go for upwards of $400, and that was in 2005.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'd love to find one of those.