Saturday, January 01, 2011

Back From the Cold

Yesterday I returned from a cabin outside Mt. Rainier Park where I spent five days doing nothing but eat, sleep, read, talk, and watch movies with four other fellows. The event is yclept Tankon. It was cold. The heaters didn't work well and the Franklin stove wannabe went out at night. When it was time to go home I found my car's doors and trunk frozen shut. It snowed a few inches. There's no running water, thus no chance to wash. We use an outhouse. One night the power went out three times, but not for long, thank ghu. And we all had a swell time. We don't have TV, radio, Internet connections, phones, or newspapers, but we have movies. We saw two movies with Anna May Wong and a documentary about her. It piqued my interest in this Chinese-American beauty and I did some web surfing about her last night. I felt very sad for her. She was an intelligent, talented, accomplished woman who never reached star status in the US because of the prevailing bias against minorities. In fact, she was forbidden by miscegenation laws to kiss any white actors on screen, even if they were appearing in yellow face as Asian characters. She died of heart failure at age 56, way too young.

Happy New Year.

9 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Agree about Anna May Wong. Not so sure I agree about the swell time. I'd have been pretty miserable, though I'm sure the company was swell.

Evan Lewis said...

Obviously, real men don't need heat. Or toilets. Or cars. All they need is Anna May.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

You said it, Evan.

George said...

I'm afraid I'm too old to be roughing it like you, Bob. Comfort is the object of my Life now.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

MAYBE WE CAN GO OVER TO NAMBY-PAMPY LAND AND FIND YOU SOME TOUGHNESS, KELLEY! Oops, sorry, George, I just saw that commercial with R. Lee Ermly. I prefer comfort, too, but I can take five days and nights of hard living for the right payoff.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sometime I will tell you the story about my friends who just spent three weeks in the Himalayas with even more primitive conditions. And how she dislocated her elbow and had to be carried down from 15, 000 feet by Sherpas in a sling (took 2 days). And how the janitor of the hospital (really a mash unit) was the only one strong enough to pull her arm back. And how they didn't have the authority to use general anesthesia. And how she nearly died from the pain.
I can never top this story.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

None of which would have happened if she'd stayed on level ground, Patti.

gene said...

found you...sorry to hear about the pain, but i agree with anna may for the cure...glad to be aboard!!

Cap'n Bob said...

Ach! I finally realized who you are, Gene. How dense I am. (Gene and I retired at the same time, folks.) Any luck with the L&I claim?