Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Final Dapa-Em


In today's mail I got my final copy of Dapa-Em, #216. It will never be published again, and I'll miss it. The idea of an apa (Amateur Press Association/Alliance) is that a limited membership (35 in Dapa-Em)--usually fans of a genre--produce individual zines, print enough copies to cover the membership plus a couple of extra copies, and send these copies to a single individual, called an Official Editor, or Central Mailer, or Big Toe, etc. The OE then collates each person's zine into one large volume and mails the big volume, called a mailing, back to each member. In the next mailing people can remark or reply to what was in the previous mailing or discuss whatever they want. Dapa-Em was a mystery apa, the only one to ever exist. It started around 1974, under the leadership of Donna Balopole, but it really took off 35 years ago when Art Scott took the helm. I joined in 1979 and have missed only one of the bi-monthly mailings in all that time. But all things must pass, and Art needed a rest after so many years of remarkable service and punctuality. Kudos to him for an incredible service.

The illo shows one of the typical Dapa-Em room parties at a mystery con.

I wish.

9 comments:

Bill Crider said...

The apa will be sorely missed. By the way, the party depicted there was at the Baltimore Bouchercon a few years ago. Too bad you couldn't be there.

Evan Lewis said...

Isn't that Ellen Nehr with the chair?

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have been hearing about this for a while and wished I had seen a copy before it's demise. No way to continue online?

Cap'n Bob said...

It may take on the form of a Yahoo group. You can also get back mailings from Art Scott. Address on request.

I believe the one with the chair is Leslie Slaasted. You missed her. Hubba-hubba!

Richard R. said...

I think I missed that room party too, or perhaps it was the one in Milwaukee, but after I left the suite.

DAPA was really something special, I'm proud to have been a part of it. Now it' time for the blogs to take over. Roll on!

Marsdon said...

I'll miss DAPA-EM but not the schedule. And at my advanced age I always went to bed before the room parties fully got started anyway.

By the way, APA-L, the local LA LASFS club apa is assembled every Thursday night at the meeting and given out to the apa members attending, but it is called a disty or distribution. When I belonged to FAPA, all the individual zines were put into a envelope and mailed to each member, but they were not stapled together.

Stan Burns

George said...

I'll miss REAL SOON NOW, Bob. But your web presence has gravitas.

Cap'n Bob said...

Stan: I've heard to the term disty but it was never used in any of the apas I was in. The big book look is a improvement over the loose zines format, IMO.

Gravitas? I've always wanted me some of dat.

RHoveyCA said...

Looking up random things in the early morning hours, and what do I find: your most engaging blog stuff and this DAPA entry. I hope you're well, and yes indeed, cheers to the old APA days. Keep on keepin' on...
Roy Bobbin Hovey, "Just Around the Coroner."