Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bachmann Birds of the World



Another recent mania has been my attempts to buy Bachmann Birds of the World on eBay. These birds came out in kits from 1959-1960, and were a cross between plastic model kits and arts and crafts sets. The birds were created life sized and came with paints, brush, instructions, and a combination paint thinner/glue. I recall a day when my visiting cousin, Georgie, and I sat down at the dining room table and put ours together. I did a Goldfinch and he had a Scarlet Tanager. The kits were simple and straightforward. Anyone with a functioning brain could produce one, and the results were satisfying. What follows is a Wikipedia entry about them:

"During the 1960s Bachmann produced plastic models of animals (Animals of the World series, Birds of the World series, and Dogs of the World series) called Nature Craft Kits. They also produced their own Mini-planes, Slotcars, military models (with Fujimi) that include fighter planes, helicopters, and Tanks; and toy robots called "Toys of Tomorrow" (with Tomy).

Complete list of 22 Bachmann Birds of the World officially released to the public: Baltimore Oriole, Goldfinch, Bluebird, Scarlet Tanager, Woodpecker, Robin, Parakeet, Cardinal, Barn Swallow, Blue Jay, Canary, Painted Bunting, Hooded Warbler, Parrot, Hoopoe, Kinglet, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing, Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, Screech Owl, Meadowlark, European Goldfinch. [Announced but never put into production: Evening Grosbeak, Pitta, Weaver Bird.]

Complete list of 11 Bachmann Dogs of the World officially released to the public: Collie, German Shepherd, Pointer, Wire-Haired Terrier, Poodle, Basset Hound, Cocker Spaniel, St. Bernard, Boxer, Dalmatian, Mongrel.

Complete list of 9 Bachmann Animals of the World officially released to the public: Squirrel Monkey, Giant Panda, Deer, Cow and Calf, Tiger, Lion, Zebra, Morgan Horse, Leopard."

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

First time I have heard of these but I bet my grandson would love them.

Anonymous said...

I had all 22 of the bird models at one time. My father threw them all out. Dust-collectors, apparently.

Jim Planck said...

The sites that talk about Bachmann's Birds of the World are repeating each other's mistake. The factory records, or wherever it originated from, are WRONG! The Sparrow Hawk model was the VERY FIRST ONE I ever made. The company DID produce it. We had a Sparrow Hawk that used to come land on our front step iron black railing to look over the lawn and my mother and I used used watch it through the door and kitchen window when I got home from school. When I showed her the model in Fishkill (Hudson Valley, NY) she bought it for me and it was absolutely beautiful. My second and third ones were the Screech Owl and the Parrot, not sure of the order. I proceeded to get almost all of them after that. Also, I'm fairly certain that the store we bought the Sparrow Hawk in also had an Evening Grosbeak on the shelf as well. I don't remember whether I later bought it or not, or whether it was gone. I think I bought it, but couldn't swear to it. In any event, the statement that Bachmann never made and released the Sparrow Hawk model is absolutely INCORRECT. It was the model that STARTED me on my path of collecting them. I can't tell you the year with specificity. I'm going to guess 1960.

Pam said...

I had something like this as a kid, but mine were already in full color, just had to snap them together. Any idea where to get one or who they were made by? I had a scissortail and couple of others.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know whatever happened to the molds of the Birds of the World series? I built many of these around 1961-1964. I would really enjoy seeing them reissued by a company like Round 2 models.

Steve said...

I had a Baltimore Oriole, but I also had a Redwing blackbird, molded in all black, holding onto a vertical branch. I can't even find a picture or listing of it on the web. Can't remember if it was Bachmann or Pyro. Anyone ever see this model?