Monday, October 10, 2011

'Tis a Puzzle


Looks like this idiotic site cut me off for no reason yesterday, or maybe today. I'm not sure why. Something about "unusual activity," which is odd since I haven't posted in ten days.

So here's another puzzle. My technique for doing a jigsaw puzzle is probably the same as most people's. I study the picture on the box, then dump all the pieces into the box top--the part with the picture. Next I transfer the pieces to the box's bottom, sorting out the frame/edge pieces as I go. I also make sure every piece is face up. If there's a lot of sky I might put that into a freezer bag, but if it has sky plus an object on the horizon on it it goes into the box's bottom. Then I look for a good place to start building. For example, in the puzzle I'm showing here I separated out the red coat, the cooking pot's tripod, and the checkered shirt. I also set aside all of the colorful leaves on the right of the picture. Once I got all of those assemblies fairly complete I did the mountains and the heads of the men where they meet the sky. The sky followed, and lastly the forest floor in the foreground. You can also see the rug on my office floor under the edge of the table. I should have cropped this first. This puzzle is 750 pieces, made by CEACO, and measures 18 X 24 inches. The picture is titled "Sergeant Beaubien," painted by John Buxton, and is part of their Each Picture Tells a Story series. Here's what it says on the bottom of the box:

"This group of Rogers Rangers are on ground overlooking Lake George, New York, which stretches Northward behind them. Captain Robert Rogers' men scout deeply within enemy territory, supplying the latest intellegence of French activity, and their daring hit-and-run tactics not only delivered great annoyance to the enemy but also boosted English spirits.
"Experienced Ranger lieutenants are briefing several new cadets and a volunteer from the 42nd Highlanders, as to the basic rules outlined by Captain Rogers--rules still employed by Ranger forces today. Among the Ranger 'cadets' in the fall of 1756 is William Stark, brother of Ranger Captain John Stark, with his wolf/dog Sgt. Beaubien. At one point throughout their history, Stark entered the wolf/dog into the official Ranger muster roll to draw a sergeant's rations and pay. It has been said that Sgt. Beaubien dispatched his share of the enemy and was well deserving of his pay."

5 comments:

Jerry House said...

Kudos for finishing the puzzle. Whenever I tried to do one, some household pet inevitably swallows at least one piece and I abandon the project, refusing to wait for the piece to reappear.

Bill Crider said...

Glad to see you back. Love that puzzle.

Cap'n Bob said...

Whenever I'd do a puzzle with someone else I'd hide a piece so I could put in the last one.

I work these in my office. No pets allowed.

George said...

Love the puzzles, too! Blogspot wouldn't let me visit your web site for awhile.

Thomaschrishan said...

Whenever I'd do a addle with anyone abroad I'd adumbrate a section so I could put in the endure one.

Sun Hat