Thursday, November 17, 2011

Back From the Desert


Last night I returned from six days in Arizona. The purpose of the trip was to let my mother and granddaughter meet. I also spent a few hours with writer Steve Mertz, who's great company. We explored a brace of book and thrift stores and ate the only Mexican food I had down there. I also went to Tombstone again, despite forecasts of thundershowers. It rained all the way there and most of the way back, but we had a respite from the wetness most of the time we were in The Town Too Tough to Die. On the return leg we saw a van full of people stopped by a Border Patrol wagon and a cop car. It was dark so we couldn't see what transpired, but a good guess would be that they busted some illegals. Que lastima.

I've never had so much trouble finding my way around as I did in Marana, north of Tucson. Some highway department genius decided to mark the north-south freeway as east-west, and I was turned around the whole time I was there.

We couldn't find the motel when we arrived, tired and grouchy. The map directions from the computer were wrong and the Best Western we sought sold out to Comfort Inn a week earlier. There was no notification and no sign advising people of the change. The room wasn't bad, especially if you like train whistles throughout the night.

A family of javelinas lived by the motel and one evening they chased my daughter's fiance down the street. I wish I'd witnessed that.

Finally ate at a Golden Corral. *Gag, choke* Second worst chunk of steak I've ever had.

Finally ate at a Cracker Barrel. My advice: Avoid the chicken and dumplings. At all costs.

The weather was mild, with temps usually around the mid-70's. I went into a number of stores that had their heaters going during what was to them a cold snap.

It's good to be home.

4 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Glad to hear Mertz was in fine fettle. You failed to list any bookstore finds, however.

Cap'n Bob said...

I had very little room in my bags. I got about 8 paperbacks and two model kits. Plus Steve gave me one of his books and his CD. He's a local blues musician known as Mojo.

pattinase (abbott) said...

So where is a good place to eat and do I have to worry about snakes.
Where does Steve play? We'll go listen. Love blues.

Cap'n Bob said...

I don't remember the name of the place where Steve and I ate. It resembles a school cafeteria but the food was good. Frankly, it was one of the few places in Tucson where I likde the food. Another was Bub's Grub. There are snakes but I didn't see any. Don't know where Steve plays. I'll ask.