Friday, November 04, 2011

Bambi Attacks Again



At about 1:15 pm today the pair of blacktail deer pictured here wandered into my front yard. This past summer I showed a photo of a buck who was in the cul-de-sac where I live. Now, he and his mate have come onto the property. At one point the doe was right outside the kitchen window (located in the front of the house) to nibble on an evergreen. I was about 15 feet away, inside. You can't tell from the picture, but the one closest to the street is the male. He has a long spiked antler on the right and a forked antler on the left. My younger daughter took the picture on her phone/wayback machine. I also saw our local hummingbird twice this week after an absence of over a month. I love when this happens.

6 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

That is a lovely picture! What happens to the deer? Do wildlife or forest officials take them back to their sanctuary? I often see a mahout-driven elephant outside my window and he has no business to be on a traffic-laden street in one of the most busiest suburbs of Bombay (now Mumbai). Both man and beast are oblivious of the chaos around them.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

That should have been "oblivious to..." am I right?!

Jerry House said...

So glad that Bambi did not meet Godzilla on the cul-de-sac.

pattinase (abbott) said...

They are running rampant in suburbs here along with coyotes, pheasants, etc. So sad that they have lost food in their natural habitat.

Cap'n Bob said...

There is a large park/forest a couple of miles away where they live, and a lot of green areas between here and there for them to shelter in. This pair seems to hang close to our street. In fact, they exit the area via the backyard of the house you see in the photo.

Walker Martin said...

We have many deer in my neighborhood in NJ, often they come right up to windows. Many do not survive long as they have a habit of stepping in front of cars.