Friday, October 08, 2004

The Hermit Emerges

I've spent most of my waking hours at my computer this past week. The reason is that the deadline of OWLHOOT, the Western apa, is nigh and I've been printing out my zine and the apa's covers. Since I print everything on my desktop printer, and every page has color, it's a very slow process. Costly, too, when you consider how much an ink cartridge runs. But I guess I've complained about that already.
The bright spot is that I have a chance to watch the baseball playoffs. All the teams I'm rooting for won their opening games, but the Twins look like they're going to fall to the Yankees and I'm not happy about that. I'm still hoping for a Red Sox/Cardinals World Series.

I've been a fan of Rodney Dangerfield's since I first saw him on The Tonight Show back in the sixties. When he died a few days ago at age 82 I wasn't surprised, since I was aware of his health problems, but I was surprised he was 82. He's looked about the same age for the past 20 years. Maybe he didn't get any respect, but he had a beautiful young wife and left behind a lot of fans who will miss his rapid-fire jokes and self-effacing style. Ed Gorman has a fine tribute to Dangerfield on his blog.

I've been asked to write a tribute to Fan Guest of Honor Beth Fedyn for the 2005 Bouchercon Program Book. I can't wait. No one deserves this honor more than Beth and I hope I can do justice to her.


1 comment:

Jim Naka said...

I have a adult toy store site. It pretty much covers adult toy store related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)